Thursday, March 22, 2018

Personalized Learning: a Curated Magazine of Resources

Personalized Learning FlipBoard

I've curated a magazine on the pros and cons of personalized learning. I chose to explore this topic because it is becoming one of my district's initiative, and I want to get ahead of the learning curve. When I'm thinking of sources, I like to get a wide variety of formats: text, video, audio, images, etc. I also like to vary the sources themselves: teachers, technology experts, students, parents, etc. I do think that I've established a fair balance of formats and sources that subsequently provide a comprehensive picture of personalized learning.

When I'm thinking of which sources I would like to utilize, I always try to keep the things I teach my own students in mind. I always, always, always tell them that they need to consider all of the alternative perspectives. If those perspectives/counterclaims are accounted for and properly refuted, it can only strengthen your own opinion and argument.

I'm not entirely sure how to approach finding sources that are going to challenge me or help me grow. The sources that I've included stem from strategies, concepts, and methods that I have already heard of or work with. If anyone has suggestions, please share them below!

3 comments:

  1. Nicole,

    Are there any strategies, concepts, or methods that have popped up that you haven't heard of? Maybe narrowing your searches down to variations of things you've already heard of might help with the challenging and growing. Or, it's not exactly a source, but take something that you're already familiar with and tweak it in new ways. Something I'm sure you already do.

    Since you used Flipboard, I figured I'd ask if there was anything in particular you liked about it, or makes it "better" or more suited to our needs than Pinterest. As I mentioned in my post, and comments to others, I tried to hop on the Flipboard train and it just wasn't for me. I figured I needed to play around with it, but I was wondering if there's anything specific that makes it stand apart from the old stand by.

    -Steele

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Steele,
      Yes! There have definitely been things that have popped up that I haven't heard of yet :D I do like the suggestions you proposed in your first paragraph though! I do already tweak things that I'm previously experienced with too.

      As far as FlipBoard goes... I didn't really like it except for how it looks when everything is done. This was also my first go with it, and I considered switching over to Pinterest, but thought I ought to give it a full go before calling it a bust. I think I'll use Pinterest in the future.

      Delete
    2. Hi Nicole,

      I like your magazine idea of personalized learning and look forward to reading more of your shared articles in the future!

      I love to play the devil's advocate with my students. It is good to keep your students considering alternative perspectives so they do not remain close-minded, hopefully. You also make a valid point about strengthening your opinion or argument through doing this.

      I would keep an eye open to the different articles that appear on your Flipboard for new sources to challenge you.

      Thanks for sharing and good luck!
      -Tony

      Delete