Tuesday, March 27, 2018

Learning Spaces and Design

It's interesting that learning spaces and design is the topic of the week. I recently found out that I will more than likely be able to make the shift to flexible seating in my classroom next year. I was given a budget of roughly $3,000 to enact these changes. With that in mind, I tackled this blog post accordingly (hopefully it won't be a problem that I altered the assignment a bit, but I figured it would make for an even better blog post if the response was truly authentic). To begin, I took a panorama of my classroom prior to any changes. This was the before:

In all honesty, I feel that I have a pretty decent classroom set-up if you pay no mind to the cold, hard rows of standardized desks. I find that my biggest challenge is the size and shape of my classroom. It is fairly skinny in width and very long in length. My Promethean board is permanently drilled into the far end of my classroom, so there is not too much room for movement and diverse set ups. Especially when you consider trying to find room for 30 desks with their chairs attached. As you can see above, I have had the desks in rows, two-by-two (a la Noah's Ark) for a while now. Please don't mind the hunched over students in the front of the room. I bribed them to help me move desks around and they begged to be in the picture. Apart from that, I feel as though I have a fairly welcoming classroom. I have a good deal of color, a large classroom library, and several inspirational posters. I also had stations across the classroom along the edges for students to access if need be.

I made a couple of quick changes to my classroom at no cost. If you take a look below, my "volunteer" students helped me to rearrange the classroom so that the desks are in fairly functional collaborative groups. It's hard to see, but at the front of the classroom I dragged in an old section of carpet that has been hanging out in our storage compartment for a couple of months since our last IKEA trip. Finally, I moved the supply stations to more accessible locations across the classroom. As they are now closer to where the students actually sit, I hope it will encourage them to use them more often. I think these minimal, but effective changes will be good for our classroom as a learning space. I was unwilling to make additional changes to displays/objects on the classroom walls though, as we are required to have everything torn down for PSSAs in a week or so. 


When it comes to conceptualizing a revamped space, I have done a TON of thinking and planning for it. I've taken a lot of inspiration from a 7th grade English teacher at my alumni middle school. Brooke Markle has written about her experiences with flexible seating on Edutopia here. Knowing that it has worked so successfully for someone who teaches the exact same grade and subject in the same state with the same expectations makes me hopeful that it will work for me too. Below is the floor plan I sketched out for my superintendent during the planning process for this endeavor. 

I started with the concept seen in college classroom across the country: tiered seating. Since my classroom space is shaped so inconveniently, I thought tiering the seating would maximize my available space and allow students the best view around the classroom. I also wanted to take a bit of a do-it-yourself approach after reading Emelina Minero's article on Edutopia. I think one of my favorite takes from the article was this quote, "When preparing kids for the real world, we want students’ learning environment to reflect the environment of the real world". Our students will not be sitting in molded desks with an attached chair for the rest of their lives; they should start getting used to working in a collaborative space. 

The items shaded in orange are the ones that factor in to my $3,000 budget with the school district. The rest of the pieces are things I already own and have in my classroom or plan to repurpose from my own home. For example, the kitchen table is something I plan to coat in a hefty layer of chalkboard paint to make them more interactive, like the standing whiteboard desks I plan to purchase. Not pictured are the three area rugs I plan to set down and all of the flags and strings of ambient lighting I plan to have throughout the classroom. I believe these changes will impact my students in a massively positive manner. Minero's piece cites, "A 2012 study from the University of Minnesota found that students participated 48 percent more in discussions in a classroom with collaborative group seating versus traditional lecture-style seating, and also improved their performance on standardized tests." I expect to see the same, or similar, results in my own classroom!

Quotes from:
Minero, E. (2017) Flexible Classrooms: Assembly Required. Edutopia. Retrieved from https://www.edutopia.org/article/flexible-classrooms-assembly-required

10 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for sharing! I especially love that this a real life situation for you. It's exciting that you get some budget room to update your classroom! Your layout concept is great. I like the seating and light idea a lot. I definitely agree when you said, "Our students will not be sitting in molded desks with an attached chair for the rest of their lives; they should start getting used to working in a collaborative space." Keep us updated!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I was really surprised when I was approached about potentially transforming my classroom into a flexible space. I'm hoping to see it go all the way to fruition!

      Delete
  2. Wow! This is awesome! I wanted to fist say that I think this topic came at the most perfect time for you! How awesome that you will be receiving money for flexible seating, that is truly so great for your students! I love how you have been able to transform your class without any money and then showed us what you would like to see in your classroom once you spend your budget.

    Thanks for sharing your students who were bribed too! I used students for a couple class projects before and they desperately wanted to be in the pictures and videos. They could hardly wait to see themselves on my computer screen.

    I wish you luck in figuring out what you are doing with your classroom! I would love to see the final product some day, if possible!

    Thanks for sharing and giving us so much information about your room and plans!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree; this topic definitely came at the ideal time for me. Also, bribing students is a favorite tactic of mine :) I can definitely update this blog once it is all complete!

      Delete
  3. It is amazing that your district has budgeted for you to receive financial assistance to transform the seating in your room! I really resonated with the statement "We are preparing students for the real world and their learning environment should reflect that". So often we hear teachers and administrators say we need to have students "career and future" ready, but yet our school layouts have not changed in so long. Luckily I believe that many are catching on and encouraging a positive change in classroom and school layouts. Personally I decided to make a switch from traditional seating to flexible seating last year. I had purchased yoga balls from 5 below as well as some cheap pillows, rugs, and lap desks. The students LOVED the changes and I feel were focusing more on the task at hand. This year I have incorporated more seating choices such as standing desks (my traditional desks that I placed on bed risers), low desks (I took the legs off of traditional desks), and varying pillows, yoga balls, and lap desks. Although to many this may seem daunting, you would be surprised what you already have to use and how well the students respond. I believe the most important aspect is to set up expectations for students use and stick to them. By doing this, my students know how they are expected to use the materials, and if they don't they are reflective enough to move themselves (most times).

    Thanks for sharing and I hope you enjoy the shift to flex seating!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it amazing?! I don't really think it was originally intentionally budgeted for though :P I was already making plans to transition to flexible seating with my own limited budget before I was approached about receiving funds for it; maybe it was my initiative that prompted that offer!

      Delete
  4. Hi Nicole,
    That is so exciting that you were given $3,000 from the district to redesign your room. I recently was told that I too could redesign my classroom next year. Our district is in the process of going 1:1 with laptops. My classroom is a computer lab that will be transformed into an innovation lab. I'm excited to add different types of furniture and get rid of the stationary desktops. I love your ideas for your classroom and may still some of them when I redesign my own. I like the idea to keep some desks in case students want to work on individual work. I also like the idea of using a kitchen table and just refurbishing it. Thanks for the great ideas!
    -Melissa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. An innovation lab sounds AMAZING! I hope that my district can make changes in that direction as we progressively move towards complete 1:1 Chromebooks in our district! Also, feel free to steal any ideas you'd like. Personally I wanted to keep at least one or two traditional desks as they are my go-to back crackers, ha!

      Delete
  5. Hi Nicole!
    I must say, I am absolutely jealous of your budget of $3,000. You would be able to do so much with that money when it comes to redesigning your room. I think your blueprint of your new classroom for next year is how every classroom should be set up. It allows the students to move around the room with ease, as well as allowing the students to pick the type of seating that they would like to learn in. My one colleague did her flexible seating for her self-directed and said that her standardize testing results increased from the year before. She also stated that her students seemed to be more focused and the quality of their work got better as well. You should post about your flexible seating and compare it to how effective it is compared to your classroom set up this year.

    Thanks for sharing!
    Shannon Hightman

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely plan on analyzing the data from this year and next year to check out how flexible seating is impacting the learning happening in my room. I hope you're able to switch over to flexible seating soon too!

      Delete